WHAT IS ASP.NET
Before knowing more about ASP.Net, firstly it's important to know about ASP and .NET
WHAT IS ASP
• Active Server Pages (ASP), also known as Classic ASP, was introduced in 1998 as Microsoft's first server side scripting engine.
• ASP is a technology that enables scripts in web pages to be executed by an Internet server.
• ASP pages have the file extension .asp, and are normally written in VBScript.
• An ASP (Active Server Pages), developed by Microsoft. It is an open source web application framework used to create dynamic web pages. Besides, programmers can also build dynamic web applications and web services with this full featured programming.
WHAT IS .NET
• .NET is a Microsoft strategy and new technology for delivering software services to the desktop and to the web application.
• .NET built on open protocols (XML, SOAP)
• .NET is future for development of MS & non-MS based systems.
• .NET is also heading towards the “Internet Operating System”.
IMPORTANT COMPONENTS INCLUDED WITH .NET
MS Intermediate Language- all code is complied into a more abstract, trimmed version before execution. All .NET languages are compiled to MSIL – the common language of .NET
The CLR- common language runtime; responsible for executing MSIL code; interfaces to Windows and IIS
A rich set of libraries (Framework Class Libraries) available to all .NET languages.
• The .NET languages such as C#, VB.NET etc that conform to CLR
• ASP.NET is how the Framework is exposed to the web, using IIS to manage simple pages of code so that they can be complied into full .NET programs. These generate HTML for the browser.
WHAT IS ASP.NET
• ASP.Net supports multi-language development, among which the first two considerations are C# and VB.NET.
• ASP is a server side technology for creating dynamic web pages using scripting languages eg vb script.
• ASP.NET is server side technology for creating dynamic web pages using Fully Fledged programming languages supported by .NET
• ASP.NET is a new ASP generation. It is not compatible with Classic ASP, but ASP.NET may include Classic ASP.
• ASP.NET pages are compiled, which makes them faster than Classic ASP.
• ASP.NET has better language support, a large set of user controls, XML-based components, and integrated user authentication.
• ASP.NET pages have the extension .aspx, and are normally written in VB (Visual Basic) or C# (C sharp).
• User controls in ASP.NET can be written in different languages, including C++ and Java.
• When a browser requests an ASP.NET file, the ASP.NET engine reads the file, compiles and executes the scripts in the file, and returns the result to the browser as plain HTML.
ASP.Net programs are written in C# Programming Language
ASP.NET DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
ASP.Net support following tools. These are
• Visual Web Developer
• Visual Studio
ASP.NET FILE EXTENSION
• Classic ASP files have the file extension .asp
• ASP.NET files have the file extension .aspx
• ASP.NET files with Razor C# syntax have the file extension .cshtml
• ASP.NET files with Razor VB syntax have the file extension .vbhtml