BATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (DBMS)
Database is a collection of related data, typically describing the activities of one or more
related organizations. For example, a university database might contain information
about the following:
• Entities :- such as students, faculty, courses, and classrooms.
• Relationships :- between entities, such as students' enrollment in courses, faculty
teaching courses, and the use of rooms for courses.
data base management system is a software that enable users to interact with the database.
Dbms enables users to store, modify and extract information from a database as per user requirements
A Database Management System (DBMS), or simply a Database System (DBS) consist of :
• A collection of interrelated and persistent data (usually referred to as the database (DB)).
• A set of application programs used to access, update and manage that data
DBMS supports one or more data models
DBMS also supports multiple languages and interfaces for data definition, manipulation, and querying
Thus a DBMS is a collection of
• Database which acts as a single centralized databank for various data processing applications
• Programs for the management of database.
• Banking : all transactions
• Airlines : reservations, schedules
• Sales : customers, products, purchases
• Manufacturing : production, inventory, orders, supply-chain
• Human resources : employee records, salaries, tax deductions
• Universities : registration, grades